The Market Kids Club is a pilot program at the Rockland Farmers’ Market where children learn how to shop at the farmers’ market, make great decisions about how to enjoy fresh local foods, and participate in healthy activities that they can enjoy for a lifetime. This progra m is free and open to the public.
How does it work?
• First Week – children check in at the Market Kids Club Kiosk to sign up and receive their reusable shopping bag and passport
• Every week children check in, their attendance is marked and they receive a token for $2 worth of veggies, fruits, whole grains, or cheese
• Children obtain stamps in their passport by participating in the actives listed below (including using their token, participating in a physical activity, etc.)
• At the end of the market season, the children with the most stamps in their passport will be entered into a raffle for a prize
How does a child receive a stamp in their passport?
• Visit a farmers’ stand/booth
• Use token to purchase $2 worth of veggies, fruits, whole grains, or cheese
• Bring token purchase back to kiosk to receive additional stamp
• Participate in a nutrition lesson and/or taste test (led by Nancy Wood, SNAP-Ed Coordinator and Knox County Community Health Coalition)
• Participate in a staff lead physical activity